Name Change Tips

Changing Your Name 

There are several reasons you may need to change your name as an optometrist – getting married or divorced are the most common.  To accomplish this requires contacting many agencies. These are the essential places and sequence to contact with the name change information:   

  1. SSN   
  2. Driver’s License 
  3. NPPES ( 
  4. CAQH ( 
  5. DORA ( 
  6. Your OD School (for a new diploma if desired; recommended) 
  7. Medicare 
  8. Medicaid 
  9. Vision Plans (VSP; Eyemed) 

Social Security Number 

The first place to change your name is with the Social Security Administration (SSA). This will update your name on your social security card. You will need these documents: 

  • Proof of your legal name change (certificated marriage certificate) 
  • Proof of your identity (US driver’s license or passport) 
  • Completed application for a social security card 

More details regarding the documents and the application can be found on the SSA website. 

Changing your last name with NPPES 

After receiving your new social security card, the next place to change your name is with the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES). This will update your name linked to your National Provider Identifier (NPI). 

NPPES does not require that your NPI name match the one listed with SSA. However, they state that not updating your NPI after changing your name with SSA may cause confusion (aka delays) with insurance companies and employers. 

To update your NPI name, login to the NPPES website and follow these steps: 

  • Select the pencil icon to edit your NPI record 
  • Access the page with your name information and change your last name 
  • Continue through your NPI record to the certification statement on the submission page 
  • Check the box at the bottom of this page and hit Submit 
  • Done! 

If you prefer, you can submit a paper application for a name change. The application can be found on the NPPES website under NPI Application/Update Form. 

Changing your last name with CAQH ProView 

Now that you’ve updated your name with SSA and NPPES, it is recommended to update your name with CAQH ProView. Insurance companies, both vision and medical, gather your data from your CAQH ProView profile during the initial credentialing process and any time re-credentialing is required. It is essential that your CAQH Proview profile stay up to date to provide the most accurate information for insurance companies. 

To update your name at CAQH ProView: 

  • Login to your CAQH ProView profile on the CAQH ProView website 
  • Select Profile Data from the top toolbar and then Personal Information 
  • Update your last name and click save on the bottom of the page 
  • Now select Review & Attest from the top toolbar 
  • Click through all the prompts until your attestation is complete 
  • Done! 

Updating your optometry license through Colorado DORA: 

The next place to update your name is on your optometry license.  

  • All licensees wishing to change their name with the Division must complete a Name Change Request Form located at the above link. 
  • Mail to: 1560 Broadway Ste 1350, Denver, CO 80202 
  • The process takes approx. 10 business days if they are not experiencing a back log 

DO NOT SEND ORIGINALS. A copy (does not have to be a certified copy) of one of the following must accompany all Name Change Request Forms for individuals:  

  • Marriage License 
  • Divorce Decree 
  • Court Order 

Last steps: insurance carriers 

The last place to change your name is with your insurance carriers. This process will vary greatly depending on company. Investigate each insurance company’s website and/or call the provider customer service number for details. Here are two examples: 

For Medicare: 

  • Login to the Medicare Enrollment for Providers and Suppliers website ( 
  • Select the My Profile tab on the top of the page 
  • Click on Modify my Information 
  • Change your last name and click Submit 
  • Done! 

For Medicaid (Health First Colorado): 

  • Log in to the Provider Web Portal  
  • Click Provider Maintenance  
  • Click Provider Maintenance again  
  • Complete the Provider Web Portal Maintenance Request  
  • Click “Attachments and Submit” on the left-hand side of the page  
  • Add the completed Legal Name Change Form as well as any other required documents specified on this form (above)  
  • Select the Attachment Type “TIN Match Verification Document”  
  • Submit 

For VSP: 

  • Click on Administration from the list on the left and select Practice/Doctor Updates 
  • Under Update Information, select Doctor’s Legal Name 
  • Follow the prompts on the new page to update the doctor’s legal name 
  • Done! 

For Eyemed: 

  • Login to Eyemed Infocus ( 
  • Under My Eyemed, Select Forms 
  • Under Change Location or Address, a new window will open, where you will be able to select “Change/Move Practice address” and change the provider’s name  
  • Note: You may be required to upload a copy of the doctor’s license reflecting the new name 

Platinum Partners

Gold Partners

Silver Partners

Bronze Partners